What is Design Build?
A Design Build company is a single source company who will take responsibility for the design and construction of your facility.
Design Build is a method of project delivery that has taken over the market. In 1985 5% of construction projects were done by Design Build. Today most construction projects are done by Design Build. (Statistics from the Design Build Institute of America)
We have been working with churches, medical facilities and commercial businesses to assist in developing their ideas and planning their building projects. We work together as a team: owner, builder and design professional, making it a priority to build a facility that brings the planning, dreams and needs of our customer into reality with an expertly planned and constructed project.
Our Design Build Process
Advantages of Design Build over the competitive bid method:
The owner has a single source of communication and responsibility – their Builder.
Team members – Owner, Design Professional, Builder – all have the same goal.
- The builder and designer are selected based upon experience, track record and integrity.
- The Team approach relieves tension and difficulties. The result is a pleasant construction experience rather than a legal battle to get the work completed.
The builder and architect work together as an experienced team early in the process.
- The builder has expertise in costs and can bring valuable information about methods of construction that will improve construction time, design, and costs.
- The design professionals will be relied upon for creativity and compliance to codes and regulations.
Accurate cost estimates are achieved early in the planning stages.
- Guaranteed cost may be supplied early in the process. If the costs are more than the budget there is still time to make needed changes to keep the project under budget. In the traditional competitive bid method the cost is not known until after all design fees are spent. At that point there are few options left to make the project fit the budget.
Lower Architectural costs and Lower Construction costs.
- Both Architect and Contractor have input into the design. The cost of a project is largely the result of design.
- The DBIA (Design Build Institute of America) national statistics show 6% less total cost than with the competitive bid method.
Subcontractors can be local and are selected based upon experience, track record and integrity.
- A select list will be established.
Quicker delivery of the final project.
- The time frame is quicker because construction can start earlier – the pricing is done earlier in the process, eliminating delays due to over-budget problems.
We will help you put together a master plan that can include remodeling, building new spaces, multiple phases, and long-term future ideas. Each part of the master plan will have a cost estimate to help you make decisions. Early recognition of your goals enables you to design and build with purpose and cost efficiency. Fuqua Construction has developed a workbook to use in this early stage to help our church customers with decision making and clarifying their direction.